Monday, July 5, 2010

Mckenna and Jesus

Since I have been catching some flack from certain people about not updating my blog, and I have a couple of minutes before my brain completely shuts down...I thought I would do that now.
I don't have any great quotes from Mckenna that she has said in the last couple of days -at least not any that I can remember-but I thought I would share my favorite one. One day, while we were asking Mckenna who she loves, Ryan asked her if she loved Jesus. Her answer was an honest, "no." So Ryan asked her why. "Because he has a beard and he eats fish." was her answer. Simple, honest and straight to the point.
I love that child. I am trying to enjoy her more and I think its happening. I realize that its not even so much what she says-although she's hysterical-but its also how she says it. She has so much expression and most of the time can't pronounce the words correctly. You put all these things together and it makes for a very entertaining day. Like tonight, for instance. While I was trying to get Reagan to sleep, she came into my room (although I told her not to) and needed to tell me how she brushed her teeth. "First I swish and then I sit (spit)." and then she proceeded to make a spitting sound all over my bed. Most people wouldn't think that was funny-but when it comes out of her mouth, its hysterical. I think if they could hook a video camera to her head, and somehow attach it to her brain so that yu could see the progression of thoughts, it would be a hit reality tv show! I mean truly how do you go from telling me a story about pretty much nothing to mid-word singing "Our GOD (heavy emphasis) is an awesome GOD."? I bet her brain never shuts down!
So Ryan is reminding me of a couple of things she said. The other day I picked Braeden up from a thing at church. I packed him a lunch and when I picked him up, he told me that he only ate the apples, which meant his yogurt and chicken sandwich were now icky. I was calmly telling him in a pretty loud voice about how he wasted the food and he needed to eat what I packed him, yada yada yada and I hear Mckenna from the back of the van. "Mom. Relax."
But one of my favorites happened on the first day of vacation. We decided to take the kids to Chuck E Cheese. Mckenna had been asking everyday for about 2 months or so if we could go, so we gave in. The last time we had taken them, Ryan kept teasing them saying we were going to the doctors office to get shots and then we went to Chuck E Cheese and Mckenna thought it was the funniest thing ever. So this time we are driving to Chuck E Cheese and Mckenna says "Dad, say we are going to the doctors." (they know where we are really going) So, we smile and Ryan says "Yay, lets go to the doctors to get shots!" And Mckenna says "no, you're joking!" and Ryan says, "Nope, we are going to the doctors" And then Mckenna actually starts crying "I wanna go to Chuck E Cheese! I don't want to go to the doctors!" We were laughing so hard because we played along with her joke....but I guess she forgot or something.
God gave Ryan and I this beautiful and challenging little girl for a reason-and I know that I will learn many things over the next years from her. Right now, what I'm trying to do is learn to enjoy her instead of trying to change her into what I think she should be like. That's what I am hoping this blog will accomplish for me-by writing down my thoughts and feelings and the funny things she says, I will be able to appreciate her for who she was created to be.

1 comment:

  1. I just love how honest kids are..."because he has a beard and eats fish!"...a friends son told her that "Jesus seemed like a tape worm wanting to live inside our bodies"...
    I also want to encourage you on the journey of parenting, God gives us these wonderful creatures and we have the honor of helping them along but sometimes we have no idea what God was thinking! Great idea of blogging and finding the positive.
    ~Kiera

    ReplyDelete